Teens banned from shopping alone on Black Friday at Mall of America

Mall of America

Do you drop your kids off at the mall for a little post Turkey Day shopping or take them with you but let them go off on their own to browse the holiday sales?

If you shop at the Mall of America, the nation’s largest mall, you won’t be able to do that this year during peak holiday shopping times if your children are 15 or younger.

After a chair-throwing meleeinvolving unruly young people during Christmas week last year, the Bloomington, Minn., mall is extending its parental escort policy this year, the Pioneer Press reported this week.

The policy, which requires kids under 16 to be accompanied by someone 21 or older on Fridays and Saturdays after 4 p.m., will be in effect during mall hours on Thanksgiving and Black Friday, and from the day after Christmas until New Year’s Eve. The mall has had the weekend policy since 1996.

The chair-throwing incident, which was caught on video and posted online, wasn’t the primary reason for cracking down on unaccompanied young shoppers, said Dan Jasper, the mall’s vice president of public relations, who cited a record number of shoppers last year on Black Friday.

“We had never opened at midnight on Black Friday prior to last year,” he told TODAY Moms. “We had 217,000 people that day, including some unaccompanied kids who are 14, 15. Just for the safety of everyone, we expanded the policy.”

“The reason behind it is to make sure this is a safe environment,” he said.

While some who weighed in on the TODAY MOMS Facebook page supported the move, others said it was wrong to keep well-behaved young teens from shopping without a grownup.

I think it is unfair to all teens to be treated the same as they are not,” wrote Judie Beford. “There are a lot of good ones and I am proud of them.”

“Not all teens are disrespectful and troublemakers like these kids clearly are,” Pamela Chapman wrote. “In fact, it's been my experience that most are good kids.”

Irene Miscia Martin suggested the mall beef up its security. “Don't make one bad apple spoil it for all the good ones,” she wrote. “We have wonderful teens in our family that love to shop and that would be just wrong.”

Some thought the extended ban on younger kids shopping alone or with friends could hurt sales.

“I think they will be hurting themselves because the thousands of well behaved teens still need presents for their family members,” wrote Jessica Brown.

But Jasper said the policy has helped sales, by encouraging families to shop together.

“Retailers love the policy,” he said. “When we first implemented it, there were concerns that sales would drop. But sales increased following the implementation and remain strong. It encourages more families to come out with their kids and sales went up.”

At a meeting a month ago to discuss holiday shopping, Jasper said the policy was discussed.  “Every single tenant was thrilled because they know it’s a policy that keeps everyone safe and leads to increased sales,” he said.

The mall first started its policy after officials noticed that parents were leaving children as young as 10 at the megamall.

“Families were dropping off their kids and using Mall of America as a babysitter,” Jasper said. “That’s just not safe for everybody.”

Now, he said, the policy gets enforced a handful of times each weekend.

People.com

Discuss this post

Jump to discussion page: 1 2 3 4

The Mall of America is overpriced and touristy anyways.

• 4 votes
#1 - Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:37 PM EST

Just about nothing worse than hoodlum mall rats. They aren't there to buy anything or even window shop. They are there to gawk, harass and hustle.

• 46 votes
#1.1 - Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:57 PM EST
wire557Deleted

Sad, but have to agree with the poll. There is a rampant animalism in teens and tweens today, a group entirely lacking in self-control and decent behavior in public. There are ALSO a large number of teens who have been raised properly and would have no problem at all spending time at the mall unsupervised. How sad that the urban rap hateful culture so many teens wrap themselves in is now resulting in blanket rules that punish everybody. Well, how's that working out for you, teens? Guess there's a price to be paid for trying to pose as the angriest badasses at the mall, huh?

• 31 votes
#1.3 - Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:47 PM EST

So what brain scan do you use to weed the psychos from the good ones? You can't. So, thanks to a few psychos everyone suffers. Welcome to democracy. Equality for all.

• 3 votes
#1.4 - Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:51 PM EST

>>So what brain scan do you use to weed the psychos from the good ones? <<

How about a pants scan? Pants down = no access\go home losers. Hoodies on inside? Same - go home. 'Thug' is not a style, it's a behaviour.

I feel the same about that idiot 'bling' they wear. It looks, well, stupid.

• 25 votes
#1.5 - Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:03 PM EST
wire557Deleted

It should be called the "Parental responsibility policy." That will get a lot of parents to question what that means.

• 9 votes
#1.7 - Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:41 PM EST

Omnipotus,

How about it's about time that people take responsibility for thier children instead of dropping them off at the mall for someone else to. It has nothing to do with how kids are dressed.

• 4 votes
#1.8 - Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:47 PM EST

I live in MN. These young criminals don't get dropped off at the mall, they ride the light rail or bus in groups of up to dozens. When the moa still had Camp Snoopy, we locals refered to it as Camp Shoot-me.

• 5 votes
#1.9 - Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:57 PM EST

I wonder if the merchants have noticed less shop-lifting during these 'parentally supervised' hours.

• 5 votes
#1.10 - Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:51 AM EST

The fact that it's too pricey is besides the point. The point is some teens do not know how to act in public. And for those parents who think their little darlings are innocent and respectful, unless you are tied to them with a leash or something, you do not know what they are doing behind your back. Unless you have eyes out there?

• 5 votes
#1.11 - Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:47 AM EST

Adult opinion of teens in the 50's- There is a rampant animalism in teens and tweens today, a group entirely lacking in self-control and decent behavior in public.

Adult opinion of teens in the 60's- There is a rampant animalism in teens and tweens today, a group entirely lacking in self-control and decent behavior in public.

Adult opinion of teens in the 70's- There is a rampant animalism in teens and tweens today, a group entirely lacking in self-control and decent behavior in public.

Adult opinion of teens in the 80's- There is a rampant animalism in teens and tweens today, a group entirely lacking in self-control and decent behavior in public.

Adult opinion of teens in the 90's- There is a rampant animalism in teens and tweens today, a group entirely lacking in self-control and decent behavior in public.

Adult opinoin of teens in the 2000's- Just ask Jake2247

• 1 vote
#1.12 - Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:55 AM EST

The Mall of America needs to get over itself. Overpriced and touristy indeed! That said, there is simply no such thing as a teenager who is well behaved and respectful. Teens today are out of control and invariably exhibit violent behavor when roaming in packs. But what good does it do to have adult supervision? The parents are the ones who have lost control of their children in the first place.

I would ban teens totally...at ALL hours.

• 3 votes
#1.13 - Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:23 PM EST

Clarence, I beg to differ. There are many well behaved and respectful teens out there. I was one of them.

Most of the problems with teens starts in the home. Their parent(s) either don't love them or don't care so they look for those who do love and care about them which are usually the gangs.

#1.14 - Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:28 PM EST

jamcinvale is right. The 91% of you idiots who voted for the ban are clearly violating the law. Furthermore, the irony is that a vast majority of you that did so are also against a fascist police state. I am sorry but what you did was not only hypocritical but it was also unpatriotic, immature, unethical, immoral, and just plain illegal on at least half a dozen federal laws alone, most notably the Equal Employment Opportunity Act of 1984 and the Civil Rights Acts of 1964 and 1972. Furthermore, you Dark Lords and Ladies of the Sith, it seems to me that once you became adults that you never became adults but, rather, you became far more infantile, immature, arrogant, narcissistic, and elitist in your own behavior and you started to judge the young people, thus giving them no hope and no way out of the mess that people like YOU and YOUR forebears brought them into in the first place. Instead of speaking negative things about the youth, depressing them all the more during this hard time in their lives, and attracting more negative situations, things, and like-minded negative people into your lives, why not speak for true hope and change in the lives of children? Why not, instead of judging them on the outside, try to judge them, as two people said in the USA, "the content of their character?" By the way, I am in my 30s, I am a Twin Cities resident, and I avoid going to that overpriced tourist trap because a. the mall is essentially dead, b. the stuff is WAY overpriced, and c. what I can get at the mall I could get for just the same price or cheaper elsewhere and some things that I usually can get I can not get at the mall. Finally, if you want to talk to me about your so-called "statisitics" that allegedly "prove" that you are indeed "right," then all that I have to say in response to that is your statistics are flawed, you all have an agenda and special interests that you want to promote instead of honesty, ethics, and morality, and, my personal favorite, "money talks and male cow manure walks."

#1.15 - Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:06 PM EST

Wow, you're right. We should just trust that all the little thuggies are "just misunderstood" and will respect us if we 'only give them the chance'. I invite you to ride the BART trains through the Oakland\Pittsburgh route sometime, and "give the thugs their chance". Hahahahahaha good luck with that.

• 2 votes
      #1.16 - Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:18 PM EST

These young thugs people are defending on this blog aren't looking for 'understanding', they are looking for targets. We just don't want them to target us, or anybody else.

#1.17 - Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:37 PM EST

well im a teen and im actually very offended by this and by some of the comments you people are leaveing. let me tell you something....first off yeah sure some teens are a bit crazy, but so are adults, and after all you were teenagers yourselves once. second you shouldn't let one or two trouble makers to ruin things for the rest of us. most of us teens just want to go to the mall and spend a day ALONE with our friends WITHOUT a parent in tow. we like to hang out and chill and of course shop till' we drop! but thats beside the point, you are just adding to the sterieotypical supposition that all underage persons are wild irrisponsible hooligans. well i know more then a few adults who would fit into that catagory. many of us these days have matured. my friends and i follow politics and read the paper. we study hard and already have realistic plans for collage and the future. but ya we still enjoy shopping and barring us from doing so without supervision is not only disrespectful and degradeing its also just plain wrong. would you like to be banned from a coffee shop? or the gym? would you like someone to tell you that you couldnt go play golf or relax at the spa without a child present? no you would hate that and we hate this ban. so very mature knowladgeable "grown ups" consider my words and remember..teens are America's future....dont let us get the wrong ideas about how to run it.

#1.18 - Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:15 PM EST

@Bookworm22 - You are supposed to capitalize the first letter of each sentence. . . . And use apostrophes where needed (im = I'm) as in 'I am'.

#1.19 - Wed Dec 5, 2012 1:20 AM EST

Another reason to avoid Black Friday entirely. About as effective in ensuring safety as making grandma take off her orthopedics at the airport TSA checkpoint.

• 5 votes
            Reply#2 - Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:46 PM EST

AMEN!

The parents upset ARE the parents who drop their kids off at the mall as a babysitter.

Teens can't shop for presents by themselves? Who needs to - mine never did.

This is the problem with parents today - they don't raise their own kids - they expect every else too.

Go to another mall, I doubt if it will hurt their business enough to even be noticed that those parents/kids aren't there.

I for one (the parent of two grown children) would love to go to the mall and not have to worry about groups of kids yelling, horseplaying, etc.

Even GOOD teenagers STILL ACT LIKE TEENAGERS. Some of these parents are in extreme DENIAL.

• 40 votes
            Reply#3 - Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:49 PM EST

WELL SAID, Kimbo47! We were "good" teenagers and still out of control to some degree b/c we were just that....TEENAGERS. Now, as an adult, the teenagers standing about, getting in my way as I try to shop can be annoying. And UNRULY teenagers? NO THANKS! My sons are 6 and 8 and I dread the day when they become those teenagers who beg to go to the mall with little to no money and basically just get on people's nerves. I applaud the rule and I would be more than happy to shop with my sons if they want to do some shopping. Forces parents (and children) to *gasp* actually spend time together.

• 14 votes
            #3.1 - Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:56 PM EST

I would prefer to see security enforcing issues with unruly groups of kids rather than entirely banning kids. We have one mall in town, and it's where the only movie theater in town is located. They don't allow kids under 18 without a parent after 6pm on Friday and Saturday. When my husband and I go out on "date night", we used to order pizza and rent movies for the kids. Now that they're older, and one can drive, we often give them money to go to dinner and a movie. Because of the ban, they have to go to a restaurant that is NOT at the mall, then drive to the mall for the movie, as the movies are the only place kids are allowed without a parent. I can't even send my 17-year old to pick up Chinese or wings on a Friday or Saturday night - any other night of the week she can do it, but on weekends my husband or I have to go. My kids NEVER hung out at the mall. But because of others, they can't even go grab a bite to eat at a favorite restaurant if it's a weekend night. It's frustrating.

• 4 votes
            #3.2 - Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:15 PM EST

I agree with you princess but the first thing that came to my mind was that apparently it is ok for gangs to be roaming around the mall.

• 4 votes
            #3.3 - Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:22 PM EST

It is always the few who ruin it for everyone else. Guess mom and dad just have to spend some time with their teens if they actually want to shop for gifts.

• 10 votes
            #3.4 - Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:22 PM EST

@princessbride,

Sadly the security enforcing has be selective in the past. I've witnessed going around the mall harrassing children of color who were simply walking through the mall and were not causing problems.

I think parents taking reponsibility for their children is the best approach. I'm sorry such a concept frustrates you. LOL. But then... My kids are adults, so it's not skin off of my nose.

#3.5 - Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:53 PM EST

Minnesota is not a state where Security can do anything. Its an Observe and Report state. They can tell the kids what to do, but the kids don't have to listen to them. They have no authority over anybody. Only in very few states do Security Officers have to be licensed and have any power (NY, WI, CA), and even then its only on the property where they're working. Everywhere else, they're just civilians and can't do anything.

• 2 votes
              #3.6 - Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:58 PM EST

So true Kimbo. the trouble with these parents of today is they are in the Age of Denial. They won't correct their children and they won't let anyone else correct them. But they swear up & down that their children deserved the full freedom as an adult. Freedom of an adult means working to support yourself , not asking mom/dad/grandparents/aunts/uncles for money to buy something @ the stores.

• 1 vote
              #3.7 - Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:57 AM EST

@PrincessBride. give me a break! To say that the Mall's theater is the ONLY one available to your children is not true. I've lived in the Twin Cities and know for a fact that other theatres exist! And other restraurants exist, too, besides the ones in the Mall. Oh my gosh, you might have to actually exert some effort to get your take-out -- like go get it yourself. Sorry, I'm not buying your whinning. Would you like some cheese with that? LOL

#3.8 - Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:16 AM EST

just dont go altogether... Black friday is not what it used to be 10 years ago.... all the fun is no more, all the troubles there are only.

• 4 votes
                Reply#4 - Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:51 PM EST

The parents complaining are most likely the ones with the troubled kids. I think it's a great ban.

• 16 votes
                Reply#5 - Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:51 PM EST

Define "troubled kids." When teens get together in a large crowd, crowd mentality takes over. Even teens who have never caused trouble can be dragged into a "mob" situation. Some may partially control their behaviors, but in a large crown, its easy to let go and join in. In a mall, there's really no need for "crowds" of teens to hang together. But as someone said, the adults can be pretty rude and out of control also, becoming part of the problem.

• 4 votes
                #5.1 - Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:10 PM EST

"But as someone said, the adults can be pretty rude and out of control also, becoming part of the problem."

You speak the truth, BW. I'm old enough that I can remember people saying, "Excuse me" or "Pardon me" when they realized they had inadvertently blocked someone trying to get down a store aisle. Now if you get their attention -- and you often can't, which probably is just as well -- you get a dirty look or worse. Short of ramming them out of the way with your cart (no, I'd never do it, but the thought has occasionally entered my mind) you have to turn around and go down another aisle and back again just to reach the product on a shelf just beyond their confab.

Sheesh! With Christmas just around the corner, I may just unleash my misanthropic soul and give as good as I get. Nah ... better to stay home until the tinsel is swept up. Hope I have enough supplies to last until then.

• 2 votes
                #5.2 - Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:51 PM EST

Older kids and teens need to be left alone sometimes without helicopter parents hovering over them. They need to be allowed to make minor mistakes and learn from them. Adult freedom and responsibility has a learning curve. Better to leave them alone in a mall for a few hours as teenagers and let them learn gradually than to let them get to college and adulthood without any idea how to behave when no authority figure is around telling them what to do.

• 4 votes
                Reply#6 - Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:53 PM EST

The mall is not in business to give teens an "experience", nor it their responsibility.

• 25 votes
                #6.1 - Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:49 PM EST

...um, yeah, and David? you sound just a little bit creepy.....just sayin'

• 3 votes
                #6.2 - Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:53 PM EST

Really Dave? Before Malls were around teens managed to survive. Ten years ago when Malls were around teens managed to survive and go to College. You argument isn't much of an argument.

• 14 votes
                #6.3 - Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:53 PM EST

Older teenagers are still allowed to be alone. Only Under 16 are banned I believe

• 5 votes
                #6.4 - Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:59 PM EST

@Frugal Democrat

Which doesn't really make much sense to me, at least. The article states that one of the two kids who started the trouble was 15 years old...

So unless his birthday is very late in the year.....he'll be able to cause trouble..again -_-

• 1 vote
                #6.5 - Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:11 PM EST

@ David,Why wait til they reached the teen years? It should begin as young as possible. As toddlers, young school aged children etc. There are times that I'm sure parents takes their children out to parks, playground, shopping, riding various modes of transportation. This is the time to teach them how to behave in public! Teach them that it's good to become a leader rather than a follower, then if they're out with friends and their friends decide to act foolish, then they know what to do-walk away from them asap.

• 1 vote
                #6.6 - Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:08 AM EST

The mall is essentially saying they do not value the spending power of teens. Teens do have money and they do shop. On the other hand, there are teens who are disruptive in public. Maybe the mall should ban everyone, since they have to deal with shoplifters. Of all those shoppers who enter, they can't tell the honest ones from the trouble makers who will steal. Deal with the real problem! The problem is not teens in general. Deal with those who cause problems. Or is that too difficult for the under-trained security? This says more about the mall management than it does teens. Management and security do not have the intellectual capacity to take on the real issues. Teens have money, like to shop, and do not want nor need parents watching over their shoulders while they shop. Sorry there are some adults in this country that have a low level of understanding of their entire business market. This is as pathetic as it gets. But malls are private property. And as such, management can act like jerks; that's their privilege.

• 6 votes
                Reply#7 - Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:59 PM EST

For the most part, at least if parents are actually parenting, 14/15 year old shouldn't have the spending power in bulk as working people. As it applies, this rule is for younger teenagers. Last time I checked, you couldn't get a job until you were 16, so if you have expendable income before that, where are you getting it?

And even if teenagers have income, maybe they should be saving it for, i dunno, college, a car, insurance, dining out with a date of their choice, rather than buying a crappy pair of jeans made in pakistan (supporting terrorists) from abercrombie.

• 16 votes
                #7.1 - Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:12 PM EST

Malls are saying your kids do more harm than good and are not worth the trouble. This was brought on by the teens themselves not the mall. Partents need to do a better job teaching kids discipline and how to act.

• 13 votes
                #7.2 - Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:53 PM EST

Damn, BW, not to rub it in or anything, but Ethan over there just poked a huge hole in your logic with his age argument.

O_o Mind blown.

• 6 votes
                #7.3 - Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:14 PM EST

The mall in my town bans teens under 18 unless accompanied by a parent/guardian. So my 17-year old, who is a high school senior and has a job and earns her own spending money, cannot go to the mall, or any restaurant in the mall, on a weekend night unless a parent goes along. Ethan, you mentioned dating - in my town, two 18-year olds can go to restaurants in the mall area on a date, but 2 17-year olds, or one 17-year old and one 18-year old, are not allowed. My daughter will graduate high school before she's allowed to go to dinner and a movie at the mall! I prefer to see group s of troublemakers addressed - call their parents, inconvenience them, maybe they'll do something. Don't tar everyone with the same brush.

• 3 votes
                #7.4 - Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:21 PM EST

The problem is, Princess, that so many parents will give Mall Security the "Oh, you must be mistaken...MY child would never do that..." crapola, and then see a lawyer. If they win a harrassment case, you would have no recourse at all to 'address' the situation ever again, and the mall would still be unsafe.

It's the parents that believe absolutely that their child can do no wrong that provide this world with the troublemakers.

• 2 votes
                #7.5 - Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:12 AM EST

Ethan, I have to wonder if you have children. My kids are 8 and 10 years old, and between allowances, odd jobs to pick up money and gifts for birthdays and Christmas, they normally have more disposable income than I do. My 10 year old just reached his goal of saving up $500 to buy a new computer. What they don't have are the bills that go along with a job.

#7.6 - Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:36 PM EST

Ethan Tyler, when you have that kind of mentality, you only further embolden the argument that BW -267706 has made. I am sorry, but teenagers, like it or not, ARE dollars and there ARE store at that mall that, gasp, CATER to children and teenagers! Way to shoot yourselves in the feet and not go after the people that are actually the ones that are making trouble than be a bunch of age discriminate jerks, mall security people. Honestly, it is like little old ladies or cancer patients being pulled through a TSA line at an airport because the same moronic mentality thinks that they may be working for al Qaeda or some other terrorist group, never mind that the terrorists also run all of the political movements, parties (yes, the middle and fringe ones, too), forms of government (yes, even anarchy), religions, and anti-religions. Wake up, people! You are being blinded by special interests, agendas, manipulation, distortion, apathy, negativity, bias, elitism, hypocrisy, false judgment, falst witnesses, and lies!

#7.7 - Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:18 PM EST

When are parents going to understand that the measures are being taken because of the epidemic of bad public behavior by kids AND parents?? This is SO overdue in America, we have become the poster boy for rudeness, boorishness and self-involvment. I am frequently amazed at what parents expect others to put up with from their kids, and the kids are not going to self-regulate because they dont have the maturity to do so. Thats why they have parents, but in todays world the parents behavior is frequently worse than the kids. Ask yourself an honest question: how many parents do you know who routinely try to set a good example for their kids? Cant be more than 50%, and thats being generous.

• 15 votes
                    Reply#8 - Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:59 PM EST

The other day I was at a store looking at some merchandise. A man of Pakistani descent came up next to me and his "kid" who was nearly as tall as I am pushed right in front of me so that I had to BACK UP from the merchandise I was perusing. I said "EXCUSE ME" because the little fuk just pushed hisself between me and the display.

His father got huffy because I made it clear I did not appreciate being pushed out so rudely "HE's just a kid!"

To which I replied "then you should train him a little better not to be so rude"

He replied "I trained him just fine. Weren't you ever a kid"

Yeah - I was. and my parents didn't make excuses for my bad behaviour and entitlement issues.

Betcha if I was a man this cretin wouldn't have said a damn word.

As a female, I was afraid I was going to get acid thrown in my face for being disrespectful to an immigrant known for their attitudes against women in my own damn country.

I think the leather jacket and steel toed boots (I ride) make him think again about engaging me any further and all he could do was mumble "you were a kid once"

• 7 votes
                    #8.1 - Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:02 PM EST
                    Comment author avatarAnge227Expand Comment Comment collapsed by the community

OhSoTrue that's a spectacularly racist comment. Did you ever think jerks just might happen to come in all shapes and sizes and has nothing to do with the colour of his skin?

For instance: you're probably white and you are indeed a jerk.

#8.2 - Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:10 PM EST

And . . . who is it that we read about stampeding and injuring store employees and other customers on Black Friday? Never has been a teen. Its always out of control ADULTS! Ban Black Friday because adults don't know how to behave in stores!

• 11 votes
                      Reply#9 - Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:04 PM EST

I was kind of thinking the same thing when I read this story. 95% of the time I've seen rude and immature behavior displayed at a store, it has come from an "adult". I can understand where the MOA is coming from on this particular issue, but in general it will be so-called adults pushing and shoving each other this Friday (and thursday!!) for tvs and other items (mostly for themselves, not gifts) and cursing out store employees. And then we're supposed to be surprised that kids witnessing this behavior don't act like little angels?

• 1 vote
                      #9.1 - Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:29 PM EST

I was just thinking - what if it had been an adult who threw the chair? Would they ban adults? I don't think so.

I've yet to see teens misbehaving at the mall. I rarely go there, but when I've seen crowds of teens, they're just hanging out or walking around, often eating in the food court. I think some adults are just fearful at the sight of groups of teenager. Adults just expect there to be trouble when they see teens together. But being a teenager isn't a crime, nor is hanging out. I'd rather see teens hanging out at the mall than off in some secretive location doing God knows what!

• 3 votes
                      #9.2 - Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:27 PM EST

I agree, WinWin4All. Also, in response to MonkeyMo, at least you are teaching your children the importance of a dollar, that you are teaching them to go into business for themselves (something I wish that my parents had stressed upon me more), that you are teaching them a trade, that you are teaching them financial responsiblity, that you are teaching them to be in the real world, that you are teaching them to become mature, ethical, moral, upright, blameless human beings, and to save their mpney when it is needed. If only more parents were like you two, then the world would be a better place to live.

#9.3 - Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:33 PM EST

Good. Young children should not be running around public places unaccompanied. Unruly and undisciplined kids are allowed to run wild and unchecked far too often these days... not to mention it is unsafe for themselves to do so. Older teens who are smarter and mature enough to be on their own are not affected by this ban.

• 7 votes
                        Reply#10 - Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:07 PM EST

well if you parents dont like it then go make your own mall and run it the way you want. free country, not a free mall.

most likely your kids are asshats you dont want to watch anyway and revel in ditching them at a mall for a day.

• 9 votes
                        Reply#11 - Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:21 PM EST

There is enough kaos on Black Friday young teens do not need to be out alone. Be a responsible parent and Go with your kids or dont go

• 8 votes
                        Reply#12 - Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:22 PM EST

The actors in this melee seem to be highly representative of one particular ethnic group. Why would this be in Minnesota?

• 3 votes
                        Reply#13 - Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:32 PM EST

It's those Lutherans, you racist!

#13.1 - Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:22 PM EST

Just stick them in a corner with their "smart" phone and they won't even know what year it is.

• 8 votes
                          Reply#14 - Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:33 PM EST

kids that age should be smoking marijuana and getting free abortions now. Long live Obama

• 1 vote
                          Reply#15 - Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:34 PM EST

poor baby dinsmo has to have President Obama nurse maid him/her sooooo sad

#15.1 - Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:39 PM EST

when do we get our new phones? I want the one LeBron has commercials for. Thanks Prez

• 2 votes
                            #15.2 - Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:58 PM EST

The ACLU is being called as i type. If not them, some other scumbag lawyer.

• 1 vote
                            Reply#16 - Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:38 PM EST

Many of the previous comments talking about the policy being inappropriate have never been to the Mall of America. I have been a regular patron of the mall since it opened and was a teenager myself when the first policy regarding unaccompanied minors was put in to place. The mall is massive, being between three and four stories depending on the side you're on. There is an amusement park in the center. Hiring enough mobile security guards would cost an astronomical amount and those complaining of already high prices (by the way, the prices generally are the same as the other malls in the area) would just see those go up. Over the years, groups of young teenagers have shown themselves to not to be capable of being in the mall unattended. Yes, I understand that not all teens are "bad", but enough have made poor choices. There's something about the wide open spaces and ability to seem anonymous in a crowd that makes normal kids act in rather ghastly ways.

• 14 votes
                            Reply#17 - Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:40 PM EST

Fifteen year olds and younger have no business being in a mall that big on their own in the first place. It's a retail establishment and amusement park, not a babysitting service.

• 19 votes
                            Reply#18 - Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:42 PM EST

Amen, mathuin. Unfortunately, too many parents expect the mall to be just that; a babysitter.

• 8 votes
                            #18.1 - Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:46 PM EST

Maybe your kids are still babies at 15 (you're probably as well), but that's not true of everybody.

• 1 vote
                            #18.2 - Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:38 PM EST

As a MN resident and a parent who does not encourage or practice "over parenting" I do believe this is a necessary step to take. I look at this not necessarily as a ban on teens because they are so misbehaved, but as a reasonable effort to protect the kids from unforseeable situations. It is true that the stampeding stories reported are a result of parents. However, as someone who was at the mall last year when the "stampede" took place, with my daughter, it was frightening. It was also unnerving to see the teens that were there that got hurt that didn't have a parent with them. Yes, it was a life lesson that they may learn/grown from. But then I ask why?

Teens disposable income is more than valued at the MOA. Literally every other store in that mall caters to that crowd. As parents know, that dispoable income will still be there the next day if the kids really want it.

The MOA is not like a regular mall. It is one big house of "entertainment". The level of disrespectful people that enter that place with no regard for any one person is unbelievable. It is only a matter of time before it loses its "tourist attraction" appeal due to this. The mall went from having low security, to moderately trained security, to a full blown city police department.

All that being said...yes parents need to give their kids room to grow and learn "survival" skills. But just because they have them, does not mean one has to encourage unecessary use of them.

• 5 votes
                            Reply#19 - Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:45 PM EST

Does not matter whether your kids are "troubled" or not. All teenagers when left unsupervised and in groups will at some point will become unruly. This is why the law requires parents to be responsible for their children until they turn 18. No matter how mature and responsible you may think your teenager is, given the wrong circumstances and influences, which they will encounter in a large mall, they will give in to temptation and/or peer pressure. And what is so difficult about spending a day off with your kids? Show them you care enough about them and their lives by spending the day with them.

• 3 votes
                            Reply#20 - Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:55 PM EST

Teenagers don't want to be at the mall with their parents! They want to be independent.

#20.1 - Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:31 PM EST

Stop spewing garbage.

#20.2 - Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:36 PM EST

Take your own advice, Joe - 1059546, and ditto for any of the fascists that agree with you. This whole world is a huge place, certainly much bigger than this mall. What about that one mall in Dubai? Do they have security pull this kind of stunt on teenagers there? The answer is no and, in fact, you could stuff a dozen Mall of Americas inside that one in Dubai! The children know how to be respectful and courteous and they do not get into trouble. Granted, I do not get along with Islam but I DO get along with parents that teach their children right from wrong and something like this is clearly wrong. If you truly hate a police state, then you will go against this clearly evil policy. However, if you support this idea, then you will soon have similar laws go for you, too. Please do not make Battle Royale a reality for the USA, let alone The Hunger Games.

#20.3 - Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:39 PM EST
                                  Jump to discussion page: 1 2 3 4
                                  You're in Easy Mode. If you prefer, you can use XHTML Mode instead.
                                  As a new user, you may notice a few temporary content restrictions. Click here for more info.